April 13, 2020: 21st Century Skills

The Monday Letter: April 13, 2020

Hello, Parents of Algebra 2/Trig Students!

In the last ten-to-twenty years or so, there’s been a buzz among the educational leadership in our Independent Schools that includes the incorporation of “21st Century Skills” into our curricula.  Often these skills include skills such as working on larger projects or activities that prepare students  for grant writing, working in groups, communicating effectively, making presentations, and problem solving under stress.  

These last couple weeks, I can’t help but feel as though my students are really truly learning and expanding previous definitions of “21st Century Skills.”  While I believe the young people today are well versed in media and tech skills, they’ve learned new skill sets that include adapting to new technologies and communicating in groups on line.  They’ve learned how to trouble-shoot, problem-solve, and stay calm at the same time.  (I could say “I’ve” instead of “They’ve” also!)  My students have 5 or more different windows opened on their computers at the same time just for math class and many have no trouble moving between the windows, sharing space on their screens and making comparisons all while adjusting to technology and math ideas they’ve never used before. Some students (like me) are still developing these skills; now these  skills feel like 21st Century Skills.  

When we look back upon these few weeks of learning during this time of crisis, I believe we will see that this is an era of expansive, exponential, and simply fantastic growth.  This new learning about which we will marvel most  (when looking back upon this time) is not necessarily learning that involves traditional math topics like Trigonometric Proofs (which we will move into this coming week), but involves the new tools, strategies, juggling, and mindset that we are forced to develop to keep ourselves moving forward.

However, as a person who enjoys mathematics and is tickled by a beautiful proof, I hope to instill some of that joy in the people whose images appear in small rectangles on my screen.  I’ve re-written our schedule of topics nearly daily, as ‘things’ come up and as adjustments are made.  We are modeling trig functions, we are completing algebraic manipulations on trigonometric expressions.  We are juggling ideas about trig (5 basic identities, 3 Pythagorean, and a bevy of rules regarding algebraic manipulations) not dissimilarly to how we juggle those 5 different windows on our computer screens. I invite you to watch a video or two (or more) that I’ve made and asked students to watch; I encourage you to ask your sons and daughters about their tasks in math class or about how our daily class is going.  I think you’ll see that I try to schedule the time such that something different happens every 10-12 minutes, if not sooner.  I have edited my 10 minute videos to stop every now and again to make an extra note or insert a multiple choice question. While most students have said these stops in the video really help them stay on task, one or two students think of these interruptions as, “annoying.”  Instead of a "check" to be sure the student "gets" the information, these students see the flow of the lesson arrested.  I appreciate and enjoy the fact that they recognize and appreciate the flow of a classroom experience.  But I'll still keep doing the "checks" because those are important, too. 

Today, in our 75 minute class, we were so involved in our project with sines and cosines, that the first time we looked at the clock there was 4 minutes left to the class.  That doesn’t happen often (ever?) in a traditional classroom --- usually after 20 minutes, we become conscious of the pressure of the chair on our backsides which draws us to the clock on the wall.  There’s so much to do and so much that’s entertaining about our current style of electronic classroom that we are not drawn to the clock.

I hope you are well and see growth and new maturity in the teenagers who share your space.  I hope you all stay healthy and happy during this time together.  I hope you find new activities and interests that strike your fancy and will make your lives more colorful and interesting in the years to come. 

Should you have any comments, questions, or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to me by email.

Kindest and Warmest Regards,

Jean Mariner, Algebra II/Trigonometry Instructor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Responsibility. 11/29/2020

Spring Break, 2021. It's been a year.

Parent Night Information