May 4, 2020: Crocuses

The Monday Letter, May 4, 2020

Greetings, Parents!

On Friday of this past week, students displayed an incredible Life Force. The day began with a powerful, fun, and connecting conversation in my advisory then moved a class where students were seeing their first proofs of trigonometric identities.  "That was kind of fun," one young man said as he finished his last proof of the day (I invited him to try some others that had been provided on-line.)  The majority of students completed the eight (EIGHT!) trig proofs early, sailing through the puzzles presented by these proofs with little difficulty, with greater speed than I had anticipated, and with a delightful sense of fun (FUN!).

Your sons' and daughters' response to trig proofs reminded me of what was perhaps my earliest meaningful memory.  In February, 1965, my parents had our driveway re-surfaced with thick, black tar.  The new tarmac increased the size of the driveway slightly and covered part of what had been my mother's flower garden.  In April, the tiny crocuses -- gentle, soft, and colorful -- pushed through the bitumen, cracking it and destroying it as they reached the sun.  By May, the flowers had taken over their rightful space.

The metaphor of the crocuses pushing through the heavy blacktop has been a mainstay in my thoughts throughout my life, helping me see a strong Life Force in any challenge.   I'm not surprised that this memory resurfaced on Friday as I looked at your happy and satisfied children growing even through the oppression of our current stay-in-place order and of the limits of the computer.

Now in a stable routine that simply "works," we are progressing through the demanding curriculum and are slated to complete our spring semester of trig in time to allow a buffer for those who find greater challenges in this study or time for other students to learn about more advanced trig ideas about which I've posted videos in canvas.

Our routine during our 75-minute class includes social time in smaller groups, a video lesson, question-and-answer sessions, time to work in small groups on problems, an evaluation of one kind or another, and reflection on our learning.  I wish I could make a recording of some of your children speaking as they explain a solution, then go back in time and play it for them last September.  They'd be shocked by their growth, learning, and passion.  I encourage you to listen outside your sons' and daughters' doors during math class to see if you can catch a glimpse of their conversations. I welcome you to watch one or more of these videos and ask your child to explain the material.  I think you'll be surprised.

Some students are still challenged by this material and overwhelmed by the complexity of the subject.  Those who visit me during "office hours" at 11 am have found great success; many have just needed assurance that they are doing good work and some need another go-round of the material which I am happy to provide. If your child needs a boost of any kind, please encourage him or her to visit. One young man completed a magnificent model of a sinusoid based on tides in Georgia, then apologized that it wasn't quite perfect, simply not recognizing how excellent his work actually was.  I was sad I couldn't intervene earlier to give him needed confidence.  Being apart has made it more difficult for me to offer encouragement and support to some kids; I'll need your help passing along the word that their success is phenomenal. 

We'll clearly make it; we'll make it through with glowing colors.

With kindness, enthusiasm, and great joy,

Jean Mariner

PS, As always, I welcome communication with you.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Responsibility. 11/29/2020

Spring Break, 2021. It's been a year.

Parent Night Information