Middle of the Second Week
On the Friday at the end of the first week of classes, I was tired. When I feel fatigued, my students often feel the same way. So at the beginning of class, during the first few minutes when classmates connect with each other, I asked them to google "inspirational quotes" and find a quote to share with others. We had such fun sharing a few pieces of positivity that for Monday's introductory activity I asked them to think of a silver lining to the pandemic and quarantine. I asked them to think of something positive that they had been able to do, or see, or feel, or experience because of their time at home.
A Block had the best responses; let me share a few with you.
"I feel as though I've learned how to deal with change and uncertainty."
"I've learned how to respond well to situations that are beyond my control."
"I've been enjoying my dogs. They have been enjoying me."
"I'm doing so much better in school now. I'm focused. I like learning on-line." (Not everyone agreed with that one, I'll admit!)
"I've gotten better at my sport because I'm working out more." (Again, not everyone agreed, but three students supported this statement.)
"I made some new friends at the skate park."
and the zinger for me? Two of your children said, "It's nice to be home."
The response from B Block was different. Silence. The mood was damp and somber. No one spoke. I decided to read the statements from A Block. As I read each one, I saw heads nodding up and down, at least one person agreeing with each statement (except maybe the skate park/new friends one).
And with that set of smiles and recognition that it's not all bad, we started the week.
Topics that have been and will be covered this week include:
- ratios, properties of proportions. (Monday)
- operations to rational expressions, solving rational equations with special considerations to domain restrictions. (Monday)
- Similar figures. A coordinate geometry approach to the midpoint formula. (Tuesday)
- Proving triangles similar. (Wednesday)
- Properties of inscribed angles in circles; inscribed right angles in circles. Similar triangles and the altitude to the hypotenuse of a right triangle. Proof of the Pythagorean Theorem. (Thursday)
- Applications of similar triangles: the side splitter and triangle-angle-bisector theorem. (Friday)
Each day in class is equivalent to about three days of classes in a regular year-long school year. I've been concerned about "sink time": time it takes for material to "sink in" and become meaningful to a learner. Each day, I circulate review problems of the previous lessons to expand the lessons and to add depth and relevance to the lessons. I chose the kinds of problems for expansion from a body that I know will appear in their futures and from the problems students had trouble with on their homework. When I can, I foreshadow ideas to come down the road so they (hopefully) won't be so cumbersome when the time comes for learning these ideas. These things help with making learning of material deeper and more meaningful and therefore lasting.
Each day during class time, I meet individually (one-on-one) with at least one-third of my students during class time. Some students need more time; some need less. I try to tailor time and frequency to what your child needs. I've designed the course to be able to be taken asynchronously, which has worked well for students who have internet issues, doctor appointments, or who want to meet with me about a particular topic. I can go into more detail about how that works out during our parent night; if you ever have questions, I'm happy to chat. If you find your child needs help or could benefit from more one-on-one time, then please both tell me and encourage him/her to take advantage of this time.
Your sons and daughters are impressive people. They brighten my day for their good humor, kindness, and flexibility. They help me feel purposeful because they genuinely want to learn. They are appreciative of the fact that they have opportunities that other people don't have during this pandemic; each day, many of your children say, "Thank You" to me at the end of class. Imagine that, saying "Thank you" to a math teacher. When this happens, you could knock me over with a feather.
Have a good week. See you during parent night.
Comments
Post a Comment