Responsibility. 11/29/2020
On-Line learning has many advantages, as I've shared before, not the least is an increased maturity that comes with the independence afforded as well as a fluency with newest technology.
On-line learning caries with it a responsibility for your own learning. I find my students each are at different places on the continuum of responsibility for themselves. Some students are uber-responsible. These folks are focused, work ahead, keep their eyes on the prize, and carry with them a genuine love of learning. Some students are learning to be responsible. They know what they should do and they simply do their best, well-aware of and sometimes falling prey to competing attention-grabbers. And for some students we call responsibility an 'emerging skill,' which really means that at this point in their young lives, they rely on others to set boundaries and rules for them. Each child is on his/her own path to maturity, and each child will reach his/her destination at a different point in time. It's not my job to judge; it's my job to support him/her on the journey.
It's highly likely that you know where your child falls on this continuum. If you're thinking, "Uh-oh, I'm not sure," or if you're thinking, "Uh-oh, my kid always needs to be reminded to do her/his chores and is forever distracted by her/his phone," then this post is for you.
I do what I can to hold my students accountable, especially in this on-line environment. I have timed quizzes students take simultaneously where each student gets a different question at the same time and has one "shot" at the question. I edit videos, embedding questions to keep them alert and to check that they are understanding the topic. I use platforms that prevent them from skipping ahead, from spinning the video at increased speed, and that allow me to observe their progress -- in real time -- through the videos and quizzes.
But I function on the (sometimes erroneous) assumption that they have only one piece of technology in the room. I can only remotely monitor one device for each child at a time. Does your child have a separate ipad? Does your child have a phone with internet access? Might your child be watching a movie during class? Might s/he be texting a friend?
When students are in my in-person classroom, I prevent them from having their phones out or using their phones. When we are in a remote classroom, I can't control their use of multiple devices. I encourage you to collect the electronics that they are not using for class (and if they say they use more than one device during class, you might ask them about that.)
Of course, if you think of ways I could be better at holding your child responsible for the activities in class, then please let me know. I'm open to trying new things and finding new ways to help students learn, to become interested and excited, and to find success. I'm a believer in the team approach to achieve a common goal, and I will do my best to catch the balls thrown at me and pass the ball so a goal can be scored. I'm hoping you share that belief, as well.
My most basic expectation (and assumption) is that your student will be "in class" each day, participating with the class while we take the quiz, watch the video, and work together on a problem set. It's the "working together" that ends up being fun. I try to punctuate class with "down time" much as I would if we were in-person so that I can get to know your children better. I also "send" students to breakout rooms so they can work in small groups which I visit. I also pull out at least 3 students each day to work with them one-on-one. However, if your child is out for Model UN or because s/he is ill, or for any other reason, s/he needs to let me know and I can be flexible allowing for an asynchronous experience. For those of you who remember analogies on the old SATs: in-person is to remote as remote is to asynchronous... so while asynchronous is better than nothing, is better to "be" with us in the zoom room.
So what are we doing this week? We are studying right triangles. We will prove the Pythagorean Theorem and study Pythagorean Triples and special right triangles. We will study right triangle trigonometry and learn about angles of elevation/depression. We will prove and learn the Law of Sines, and apply this idea to many "real world" situations. On Monday, December 7, we have a project where students will calculate the grade of a road (or path or ramp) of their choice. They may ask you how to use the "trip odometer" in the car or they may ask you for a tape measure. They may be using an altimeter in their phones. I'll ask them to stay safe; they can complete this activity in your home or in the car -- without leaving the interior of the car.
I was also thinking you might be interested in the blogs I've been asking your sons and daughters to write. I post the prompts in my blog; feel free to wander around the blog to see earlier prompts. This week's prompt is: The Most Interesting Person in the World. https://mmxxga2journal.blogspot.com/2020/11/the-most-interesting-person-in-world.html. The project I referred to earlier is also posted in my blog: Grade of the Road. https://mmxxga2journal.blogspot.com/2020/11/project-grade-of-road.html. (this will become available later in the week.)
I'm rather prolific in my blog writing; if you are interested in blogs I've used in other classes, let me know. If you'd like to see "Monday Letters" from last spring, then let me know; they provide a window into how I teach.
Be Well. Stay Safe. Look out for each other; you are each very important. And of course, send me a message if you are interested in something, curious about an approach, or simply want to connect.
--Jean Mariner
-
Comments
Post a Comment