Preparing for Winter Break: 12-14-2020
Even though it takes a lot of energy to stay attentive during each class period, students have been incredible with their focus and their learning. Many have taken advantage of the opportunities afforded by the links provided and the time together. Many have shown continued enthusiasm and energy. Many have raised their game as they connect and learn the recipe for success.
Most impressive was the student success with the Law of Sines. Even though it is more complex than the other ideas covered earlier in this unit, people "got it." Their problem solving skills and use of the formula were very impressive.
In general, I don't see students connecting in class as much as I had hoped. There's lots of silence when I'm trying to get a discussion going. There's lots of students working on their own in breakout rooms instead of working together. It's been my challenge to help everyone make connections and develop on-line conversational skills. There are a few groups who actively engage with each other, so I try to adjust the work groups to help everyone begin connecting more during our class time.
About a third of the class took advantage of the extra credit "Law Of Cosines" video and homework; telling me that there's interest either in the material or in simply raising their grades. Either way, they had exposure to a pre-calculus topic.
The last blog post about the Interesting Person was a hit. Some students wrote long lists. Some tried to convince me that their interests were the MOST interesting ever. Many students presented ideas that had me googling and scouring the internet for more information. These student blogs were such fun for me to read; I'm hoping these were fun to write, too. Indeed, we had some fun conversations in class surrounding student interests and passions, many academic.
The blog for this week explores hypercubes as an illustration of the fourth dimension. As an introduction to transformations, each person constructed a hypercube in class (a fourth dimension represented in two dimensions is a powerful exercise.) Because I received some wonderful parent responses to the Interesting Person blog, here's a link to the hypercube blog: https://mmxxga2journal.blogspot.com/2020/12/hypercube-4th-dimension.html Ask your son or daughter to share with you his or her illustration of the hypercube.
It is my hope that a little knowledge about what is going on in class will help start a conversation at the dinner table about what your child is learning or thinking about while in class. While some of what we do in this class is, admittedly dry (sorry, but they need to know the foundations of the unit circle or the formulas for volumes before they can take trig or integral calculus), there are some incredibly interesting and exciting ideas. I try to pace the class and alternate between the drier topics and the more exciting topics. I also try to integrate a little humor; I've been told however, that the "jokes" are not even worth pressing the "unmute" button to present a response. (I refrained from pointing out that the individual who told me this, however, had indeed pressed the "unmute" button to tell me that the joke was not worth pressing the "unmute" button.) I'm not late-night comedian, but these days I do empathize with them as I address a largely silent audience in a zoom classroom.
As a reminder to you (because you're not in class every day), there are many resources for your child to use to assist in their learning. For my particular program, there's printable notes on line; the entire trimester is available right now. As the course unrolls, videos are available in two formats: one within the "screencastomatic" platform where students can watch the videos in advance, as review, and as many times as they want in slow-mo or sped up; a second (and this one is required for credit) within the "EdPuzzle" platform where students answer questions and take notes of the material as I "watch" them answer questions and make progress. I'm also actively involved during class, working individually or in small groups with students and checking that they are learning the material and making movement forward. Other resources include Kuta Software videos and worksheets, Khan Academy videos, Kahout! videos, and Quizziz to name a few. The volume of resources has exploded in the last few months!
To be honest, it's exhausting for everyone to be in a remote classroom. Students need a break. If they really wanted, your children could likely find a way to locate the videos I've created for the remainder of the semester even though I've not posted them on canvas yet. It's important for students to rest and come back enthused and strong in January.
We are on pace to fit the whole year of Geometry/Algebra II into this trimester. This impresses me because there's so much additional learning that's happening about on-line programs, platforms, and activities. When I walk my dog with neighbors, I hear some parents of non-AA students say it's a "wasted year for kids." For me, I see enthusiasm, growth, increased maturity, learning in new ways, all while we discuss and practice all the material in our standard GA2 program. Sure, the jury is out regarding retention, and I'm concerned just as you may be and I'm being as creative and expansive as I can in helping kids retain the ideas from this year in math.
Be well.
Jean Mariner
-
Comments
Post a Comment