Email Letter to Parents the Night Before Classes Start

 Greetings, Parents of Jean Mariner's GA2 math class, 3rd Trimester 2021!

It's now Sunday evening, and I'm polishing up the next week's lessons for class.  I know we are all excited about returning to the classroom and seeing each other.  Some of us (students) will be learning from home and, indeed, I need to be home for two more weeks.  Currently, I have clearance to return to in-person classes March 8 (but not before then.) When you responded to my emails, I wrote you personal notes explaining this; I hope there's no surprises.  

So you know, with some students at home and some students in the classroom, I have a variety of resources that I have constructed specifically for your children. The main tools are itemized below: 

1. I have placed pdfs of the powerpoint lessons -- all lessons -- in canvas.  These are lessons I have written, rearranging the curriculum and organizing the material in a way that integrates -- rather than separates -- the algebra lessons from the geometry lessons.  Students last trimester found it valuable to print these out prior to class; this helped with note-taking and with seeing the "big picture."  

2. I have made well over 100 short (10 min) videos of myself giving the lessons while following the powerpoints.  These are available in two formats for students:  (1) as an edpuzzle, where questions are embedded so I can (in real time) evaluate understanding;  (2) as "screencastOmatic" which students can watch in advance of class or as review.   These are so the folks at home don't miss a beat when there's the inevitable glitch in their internet connection.  These are also so students can work at their own pace, if they'd like. 

3. We've all learned to be quite savvy with the breakout rooms in zoom; while on line, I use these both for group work and for private tutoring sessions with kids.  These "rooms" work quite well in conjunction with the self-paced structure.  I can give lots of extra help for those who need it, and I can augment lessons for the students who want to accelerate themselves through the course and learn extra. And while this works well on line, I'm very excited to be back in person when I will be able to better read body language and where I'll be better able to connect with students.  

You'll hear more details of other resources and of how class goes from your children (I hope!) and certainly from me on parent night.  

I also do my best to maintain a blog for parents where you can get a better understanding of how class is structured.  

I've kept "live" the posts from the last year; some parents thought that looking at the history of posts was helpful to understanding the class and me as a teacher.  I now have entered two posts recently for you, parents of 3rd trimester students. The first you'll see is a post I've written for students, but I thought you'd like to see. The topic is Kindness and sets the stage for the trimester. The second post is an outline of classroom policies, grading, etc.  You can subscribe anonymously to the blog by clicking on the horizontal parallel lines in the top Left hand side of the screen. The link:  https://themondayletters.blogspot.com/ 

I hope you all are well; I look forward to meeting your sons and daughters tomorrow! 

Best Regards, 

Jean Mariner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Responsibility. 11/29/2020

Spring Break, 2021. It's been a year.

Parent Night Information