General Information: The first post for Spring Trimester, 2021
Ms Jean Mariner (she/her/hers)
Geo/Algebra 2, 2020-2021 school year
For students; for parent reference.
For students; for parent reference.
CLASSTIME IN GENERAL
Things you need for class: Your computer AND EARBUDS, TI-graphing programmable calculator (TI-84 family), binder (or 7 folders with fobs) and paper, two textbooks (Precal Larson and Geometry Pearson), Geometer, pencils, your sense of adventure, focus, and interest in doing well. In addition, having a printer at home will be helpful so you can print out the powerpoints if you think they would be helpful. I need to know if you are an on-line person and do not have printing abilities. In addition, students have used their cell phones to take pictures of their written homework, transfer it to pdf format, and submit their homework. If you do not have the ability to create a pdf from your written work, I need to know.
HOMEWORK EXPECTATIONS:
Show all your work. You MUST have the “picture,” the diagram, the shape, the full illustration on your paper or you will not get credit.
You must show all your algebra; use “=“ signs, write neatly, label your work, box your answers, etc.
If you are unable to complete the problem, you must copy over the problem and write a full sentence that (a) says what you know and what you can do and/or (b) asks a question. A “?” symbol is insufficient. Yes, your homework is graded for more than simply completion. I look at it, read it, and appreciate comments that you write. Let me know ON YOUR HOMEWORK if there's something that's confusing to you or that you have a question with. I'll respond to these in class, often working with you one-on-one.
The next day (or in the next few days), if you do NOT have a grade on your homework, you must review my comments on your homework and respond to the comments. If you do not respond to my comments on your homework, by the end of the unit, you will have your homework grade reduced. In your next assignment, you must learn from my comments on the previous assignment and improve your work based on my comments.
GRADING POLICY
Graded items include the following (Yes, you’ll notice there are many!): (Specific Grading numerics provided in a different file in canvas.)
1. Evaluations. Evaluations (commensurate with the idea of tests or quizzes) are graded items in canvas while we are on-line and on paper (or sometimes in canvas) if we are in person. Expect one every day; these will help you stay current and will help you check to see if you understand the material. For those evaluations taken on-line (there will be a bunch of them) it is assumed that you will be using all your personal resources (notes, calculator, etc, but NOT peers or on-line problem solving tools) while taking these evaluations, so be prepared. Note that while you can use notes, if you NEED to use notes, then you may not know the material well enough to finish the quiz in the allotted time. Time is NOT built in for you to search through your pages and re-learn the material. (Just as time is not built in for you to communicate with someone else while taking the quiz.) If there is a time limit, that time limit is advertised on the evaluation; extra time is built in for those individuals who have documentation that extra time is necessary. Note that each student has a different version, so between the time limitations and the individual nature of the evaluation, it's difficult to use unauthorized assistance or a peer in the class. Weights of each evaluation are between 12 and 20 points and are determined by the number of questions on the evaluation and will be labeled appropriately at the start of each evaluation.
2. Homework and homework feedback comments. Each homework assignment is submitted by pdf on canvas through the daily link. Each homework is worth 10 points (4 for completing the assignment, 4 for "timeliness" and 2 for responding to my comment when you are required to do so. It would be best to have your “settings” in canvas let you know when things are graded, added, or whatever on canvas.)
4. Blog. I’ve had classes write “blogs” for many years. Last year I did not have my classes write blogs and I regretted that. Your blog post is graded like a daily evaluation or homework and is meant to tap your creative brain, to help you see the big picture, to give you a new skill, and to help you develop the important skill of writing. This year, the blogs start with class culture and with ideas about how to develop resilience and skill navigating math class on-line. Blogs will also be assigned for when you complete a project. Points for the blog will be determined by the complexity of the topic.
6.
COMMENTS ABOUT LEARNING in Hybrid
Many of you will enjoy the self-paced possibilities developed as a result of our on-line learning experience; some of you will be thankful that we now will have an in-person component to our class. Our common experience on-line has accelerated our entrance into a new era of communication, commerce, business, and “life;” the challenge is that we doing so in such a swift manner that we are cognitively stretched. This trimester, I'm endeavoring to bring the best of both worlds together.
Some ideas and new perspectives on what defines success:
1. Be ALIVE! Be ACTIVE! It’s more fun to do stuff than not do stuff. This is REGARDLESS if you are on-line or in-person.
| Women in Financial Services Blog |
2. Be FLEXIBLE! Learn to THRIVE! Be PATIENT with yourself and others. Be KIND to yourself and others.
3. Be STEADY! Be CONSISTENT! Stay the course; keep your hand on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Check a box every day to break down a larger effort into smaller benchmarks. Note each accomplishment so you can see progress. If you do everything on line, then you won’t have a satisfying thick binder housing all your work, so you’ll need to find a way to look with awe upon your efforts and progress throughout the course. I recommend that you printout the lessons (posted on canvas -- I'll show you where the first day) and take notes on these lessons. You can use a 3-ring binder with dividers to house them all or get 7 file folders WITH FOBS. (7 because we have 7 units). I use file-folders; I'll show you the first day what seems to be working well for me.
4. PLAY! HAVE FUN! Use humor, be creative, take risks. NOW is the time to experiment and make discoveries. If you view any subject as fun, then it will be -- Did you know that doing math used to be considered a game and a form of challenging others to a friendly competition?
Ta TALK! Let me know how you are doing, what's going on, and what you think. You can "chat" publicly or privately. You can send me notes on your homework or in your EdPuzzles. Last trimester, I received some great links, jokes, movie titles, and even cookie recipes! You can write me emails. If we are in person, then come see me! Arrive early to class! Stay late!
COMMUNICATIONS WITH PARENTS
In general, it’s my belief that my primary relationship is with the student. It is also very important for me to do all I can to preserve the life-long relationship you have with your parents. There are times I will encourage you to communicate with your parents before I do; when you talk with your parents, it’s helpful to have a ‘plan of action’ to set things straight; I can help you develop that plan.
During one of my first meetings with a parent over 30 years ago, the parent said to me with an edge to her voice, “I’m on Sunny’s side.” I said, “So am I. Who is on the other side?” This is how I’ve always felt as a teacher: we are on the same side. After all, we have the same goal: your success. I’d like to help you be successful. If ever you feel as though I am not on your side, then please let me know that I need to work extra hard to build trust with you.
While you will communicate first with your parents when there’s some issue (that’s the goal, at least), I’ll need to follow up because that’s my job. Please know that anything I share or say to your parents I would also be comfortable saying or sharing with you. And parents need to know that I won’t keep secrets from you; secrets would undermine my relationship with you. I know that some high-school students have trouble speaking frankly with parents; if that’s you, then let’s chat about what we can do.
I'll write to parents periodically throughout the trimester in a blog I call, “The Monday Letters." This is simply one more way for there to be communication.
Comments
Post a Comment